From the 1st Godless Perverts Night! Greta is in the middle.
Note from Maggie: I’m proud to introduce Greta Christina who has been a feisty writer and activist for both sex and atheism. I lean more towards humanism these days as the skeptic and atheist realms seem to forget to “kick up” to the establishment. Greta is a hard working writer who is adept at handling tricky subjects and is a hell of a lot of fun to read. I love her non-fiction rage but I’m also glad she penned a collection of naughty fiction that will make you laugh and cum. She has been doing a blog tour to promote this work and you can check out her other stops by visiting her blog. Now note: I pretty much never do commercial endorsements here. Greta writes a mean book, she’s prolific, and she’s powerful. This is one of the people I’ve been following for awhile who has influenced what and how I write. Definitely check this out along with her (many) other books and amazing blog. Without further ago, here’s Greta!
5 Things That Piss Off This Godless Pervert
With all the time that one could spend writing fucked-up kinky porn and having deviant sex, how does one find the energy to rant against religion?
A quick introduction: Hi. I’m Greta Christina. I’ve been a sex writer since 1989, and an atheist writer since 2005. I’m co-organizer and co-host of the Godless Perverts Story Hour and the Godless Perverts Social Club in San Francisco (where else?). I’m the author of a new e-book of smutty perverted pornography — excuse me, erotic fiction! — titled “Bending: Dirty Kinky Stories About Pain, Power, Religion, Unicorns, & More” (available as an ebook on Kindle, Nook, and Smashwords; audiobook and print editions coming soon). I’m also the author of the bestselling atheist rant, “Why Are You Atheists So Angry? 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless” (available in print, audiobook, and ebook on Kindle, Nook, and Smashwords).
And for my guest post on Maggie Mayhem’s blog, she’s asked me to combine these two wheelhouses into one grand mega-wheelhouse (wheelmansion? Wheelcastle?). So for your dining pleasure today, I bring you: 5 Things That Piss Off This Godless Pervert.
1. The “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” religious hypocrisy that tells gay people to suppress and deny the sexuality they were undeniably born with… but that tells trans people that they have to accept the genitals and gender they were born with, and that they mustn’t tinker with God’s handiwork. You don’t get to have it both ways, people! Either God created us exactly the way he wants us, and wants us to accept it and submit to it… or he created us as a sort of guessing game, and wants us to shape ourselves into the people he intended us to be, giving us only a vague and self-contradictory set of arcane clues as a road map. (Of course, there is a third and far more plausible option… which is that God doesn’t exist, and our sexualities and genders come from a complex set of biological and social factors, and that as long as they don’t harm anyone, they’re nobody else’s freaking business. Sort of comforting when you think about it. And it has the added virtue of almost certainly being true.)
2. The fact that religiously-based shame, fear, and hatred of sexuality has helped keep sex so stigmatized… which means that good writers, photographers, filmmakers, actors, and other artists often stay away from the subject of sex, for fear or being trivialized at best and shunned at worst… which means that there’s not nearly enough good porn for me to enjoy. (Many thanks to the Mayhems for being an exception!)
3. The insidious way that religion uses sexual guilt to perpetuate itself. It’s like a doctor who poisons his patients, so he can keep treating them and keep them coming back. Religion gives you the disease — sexual guilt. It offers you the cure — the promise of forgiveness and absolution, as long as you stay in your religion and follow its rules. But the disease doesn’t ever go away. You still have the sexual desires you started the cycle with. So you have to keep coming back to religion… to make yourself feel better about the sexual desires that you wouldn’t feel guilty about in the first place if it weren’t for religion. I almost admire the Machiavellian craftiness of it all. Or I would, if it weren’t so fucked-up. (Hat tip to Darrel Ray, author of The God Virus: How Religion Infects Our Lives and Culture and Sex & God: How Religion Distorts Sexuality, for this insight.)
4. The hissy-fit that got thrown — by people who identify as sex-positive — when the Godless Perverts Story Hour gave away religiously-themed sex toys as door prizes — the Baby Jesus Buttplug,the Jackhammer Jesus dildo with a cruficix molded onto it in relief. I mean… really, people? With all the shit that religion has thrown at sexual deviants (heck, for that matter, at sexual non-deviants), blasphemous sex toys is what gets up your nose? With all the ways that religion has trampled on sex, for centuries, you’re worried that the Baby Jesus Buttplug might hurt some poor believer’s feelings?
5. Female genital mutilation; male genital mutilation; inaccurate and harmful “abstinence-only” sex education; the war on women and the steady rollback of reproductive rights; the rape of children by priests; the institutional protection of child-raping priests by the Catholic Church, for decades; girls in fundamentalist polygamous Mormon cults being married against their will, at ages as young as thirteen; girls in Islamic theocracies being married against their will, at ages as young as nine; women in Islamic theocracies being beaten, imprisoned, or executed for having sex outside marriage; female rape victims in Islamic theocracies being executed for the crime of adultery; the Magdalene laundries operated for decades in Ireland by the Catholic Church, which were essentially forced labor camps for sexually “immoral” women; the decree from the Dalai Lama that sex can only provide short-term pleasure and in the long term is inherently destructive; the decree from the Dalai Lama that all forms of sexuality other than penis-in-vagina intercourse are banned by Buddhist teachings; the decree from the Dalai Lama that gay sex is “wrong,” “unwholesome,” a “bad action,” “vices,” “not acceptable from a Buddhist point of view,” and “contrary to Buddhist ethics”; queer children being taught to hate and fear their queerness; female children being taught to hate and fear their femaleness; a gynecology conference in Jerusalem refusing to allow women to speak because of pressure from ultra-Orthodox Jewish leaders; the ultra-Orthodox “modesty patrols” in Jerusalem that harass, terrorize, spit on, and physically assault women and girls who don’t adhere to their modesty standards; the Christian teaching that lusting in your heart is every bit as sinful as actual physical adultery — a thought-crime that shames people for physical desires that are as deeply hard-wired by evolution as hunger or the need to sleep; the Catholic and Mormon churches teaming up to keep same-sex marriage illegal; gay teenagers getting kicked out of their homes by their Mormon families (40% of all homeless teenagers in Salt Lake City are gay); Quiverfull mothers being browbeaten into having as many babies as their bodies will produce; people in Africa and South America dying of AIDS because the Catholic Church convinced them that using condoms makes Baby Jesus cry…
… all perpetrated, rationalized, and perpetuated through the belief that God wants it this way. All perpetrated, rationalized, and perpetuated by people who have absolutely no good reason to think that they know what their god wants, any more than any of the billions of other people who happen to believe in a different god. All perpetrated, rationalized, and perpetuated using religion — which, because of its fundamental unverifiability and lack of any reality check, makes it uniquely armored against the criticism, questioning, self-correction, or anything else that might stop it from spinning into extreme absurdity, extreme denial of reality… and extreme, grotesque immorality.
So yeah. This godless pervert is a little pissed off.
On the other hand, we have porn. So there’s that.
“Bending: Dirty Kinky Stories About Pain, Power, Religion, Unicorns, & More” is available as an ebook on Kindle, Nook, and Smashwords. Audiobook and print editions are coming soon.